Friday, July 22, 2011
I've finally finished this painting. I used friskett/masking fluid to cover the washing line and girl's hair when I was doing the washes for the sea and sky. I've been working on creating even washes and it certianly helped being able to brush over the whole area quickly, rather than filling in small areas while other parts are drying rapidly. I did, however, learn the hard way to be careful when peeling the dry fluid off the paper.
I was inspired by the muted colour scheme of yellow/oranges, clear blue and a sea foam green of this artwork by John Culqui. (While you're there, check out the cool blog & art of the Boda Surfamily) John's work is simple lines and colours, but so evocative!! I ended up using a few more colours than I'd planned but I think I'm happy with it. The overall mood is pretty close to what I was aiming for.
I'm looking into doing another short course, this time in drawing. There is a 'drawing for beginners' or an 'illustration for children's books', but I don't have a lot more info. The children's book course sounds pretty interesting. Nice context for learning and I would like to develop that illustrative style rather than a life-like, photorealist style.
My next project: a painting of my mate's kombi!